There’s a whole lot more to California than many people realize. In reality, San Francisco and Sacramento are pretty much the halfway point when I drive from Southern California to the town where I grew up (Crescent City). The golf is much more spread out in this region spanning from the coast to along the I-5, but there are a few real gems.
These rankings are based on my impressions of the overall design, scenery and relative value combined with more measurable elements such as conditioning, facilities and customer service (taking into account my personal experience(s) at the course and general word-of-mouth from Greenskeeper.org reviews/ratings).
Keep in mind when clicking on any active review links below that often I review multiple courses in the same article, so sometimes you have to scroll down in the story to find the course listed here.
PUBLIC REGULATION COURSES:
- Mount Shasta Resort • Mount Shasta, CA
- The Links at Rolling Hills (formerly Sevillano Links) • Corning, CA
- Lake Shastina Golf Club • Weed, CA
- Beau Pre Golf Club • McKinleyville, CA
- Sea Ranch Golf Links • The Sea Ranch, CA
- Eureka Golf Course • Eureka, CA
- Gold Hills Golf Club • Redding, CA
- Baywood Golf & Country Club • Arcata, CA
PUBLIC SHORT COURSES:
- Little River Inn Golf Course • Little River, CA
- McCloud Golf Club • McCloud, CA
- Bigfoot Golf & Country Club (aka Willow Creek G&CC) • Willow Creek, CA
- Weed Golf Club • Weed, CA
- Kings Valley Golf Course • Crescent City, CA
- Benbow Hotel & Resort Golf Course • Garberville, CA
- Brooktrails Golf Course • Willits, CA
- Colusa Golf & Country Club • Colusa, CA
- Churn Creek Golf Course • Redding, CA
- Allen’s Golf Course • Redding, CA
- *Del Norte Golf Course • Crescent City, CA (*CLOSED)