2012 was a banner year for the Golf Nomad. For starters, it was the first full year of the BogeyAcrossAmerica.com blog. It’s quite a commitment of time and energy to keep up the site, write the reviews and post all the photos one-by-one, but it’s worth it. I appreciate all the feedback and support I’ve gotten from friends, family and fellow golfers who have discovered the site through various sources like Greenskeeper.org, Facebook, Twitter and Google.
You may have noticed I recently added some advertising to the site. It’s not much, but any little bit helps offset all my golf expenditures. 2012 found me playing a ton of golf and I’ve loved every minute of it, but I cannot keep up such a pace without generating some revenue from the site.
In 2012, I was able to play over 100 rounds of golf, which is by far a personal best. In all, it works out to something well over 2,000 holes played! In fact, I was able to achieve a lofty personal goal to play more than 100 new courses in the calendar year. I ended up playing 104!
I was able to break the 200-course and 250-course barriers during the year and now sit at a total of 278 courses played. That means I should reach the 300 mark sometime in the first half of 2013. I hope to make it a very special course.
I was able to play golf in 16 different states in 2012, 13 of which were new to my personal list. I passed the halfway mark when I played at Longaberger Golf Club in Ohio and am now at 27 states played. In 2013, I hope to take at least one big multi-state trip to get up over 30 states total. I probably won’t reach the 100 new course mark again this year, but I’m sure at least 50 is achievable.
With so many new courses played, I decided to try and rank the Top 25 of 2012. I ended up with a top 40, though. Even then, this was not an easy list to pull together. Many great courses didn’t make the cut and ranking the ones that did was very difficult. There were so many different styles of courses, great experiences and positive memories, it’s very hard to compare one over the other. But I’ll try anyway.
So, without further delay, here is the Golf Nomad’s Best of 2012:
- Arcadia Bluffs Golf Club • Arcadia, MI
- Cog Hill Country Club #4 (Dubsdread) • Lemont, IL
- Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club • Sandia Park, NM
- Poppy Hills Golf Course • Pebble Beach, CA
- Classic Club • Palm Desert, CA
- The Club at Seven Canyons • Sedona, AZ
- St. Ives Golf Club • Stanwood, MI
- Desert Willow Golf Resort (Firecliff) • Palm Desert, CA
- Wild Horse Golf Club • Gothenburg, NE
- Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms (Zaharias) • City of Industry, CA
- Fossil Trace Golf Club • Golden, CO
- Black Mesa Golf Club • La Mesilla, NM
- SilverRock Resort (The Arnold Palmer Classic Course) • La Quinta, CA
- Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway • Indianapolis, IN
- Sycamore Ridge Golf Course • Spring Hill, KS
- Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms (Eisenhower) • City of Industry, CA
- Yocha Dehe Golf Club • Brooks, CA
- Lakota Canyon Ranch Golf Club • New Castle, CO
- Journey at Pechanga • Temecula, CA
- The Golf Course at Sand Hollow Resort (Championship) • Hurricane, UT
- Desert Willow Golf Resort (Mountain View) • Palm Desert, CA
- Longaberger Golf Club • Nashport, OH
- Bayonet & Black Horse (Bayonet Golf Course) • Seaside, CA
- Malibu Golf Club • Malibu, CA
- Half Moon Bay Golf Links (The Old Course) • Half Moon Bay, CA
- PGA West (Nicklaus Tournament) • La Quinta, CA
- Cypress Ridge Golf Club • Arroyo Grande, CA
- Desert Dunes Golf Club • Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Troon North Golf Club (Pinnacle) • Scottsdale, AZ
- Hunter Ranch Golf Course • Paso Robles, CA
- La Quinta Resort & Club (Mountain) • La Quinta, CA
- Tullymore Golf Club • Stanwood, MI
- Sevillano Links • Corning, CA
- Old Silo Golf Club • Mt. Sterling, KY
- Diablo Grande Golf & Country Club (The Ranch Course) • Patterson, CA
- Stonehenge Golf Club • Fairfield Glade, TN
- Stevinson Ranch Golf Club • Stevinson, CA
- Moorpark Country Club • Moorpark, CA
- Indian Canyons Golf Resort (South) • Palm Springs, CA
- Quail Lodge Golf Club • Carmel, CA
Honorable Mentions: Cog Hill Country Club #2 (Ravines), Diablo Grande Golf & Country Club (Legends West), Eagle Falls Golf Course, Elkins Ranch Golf Course, Escena Golf Club, Forest Ridge Golf Club, The Fort Golf Course, Gaylord Springs Golf Links, Glen Annie Golf Club, The Golf Club of California, Half Moon Bay Golf Links (The Ocean Course), Laguna Seca Golf Ranch, Olivas Links, Purgatory Golf Club, The Rawls Course at Texas Tech, Ridge Creek Dinuba Golf Club, San Vicente Inn & Golf Club, Shadow Hills Golf Club (North), Sierra Lakes Golf Club, Sterling Hills Golf Club, Swope Memorial Golf Course, Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort (Oak Glen), The Westin Mission Hills (Gary Player Signature Course)
As you can see from the lengthy Honorable Mentions list, I was able to play a lot of great courses in 2012. Each name is hyperlinked, so you can view the story, review and photos associated with each course listed.
I would recommend any of the great courses above in a heartbeat so the rankings are kind of arbitrary in my own mind.
Thank you all again for the positive feedback and support throughout 2012. Let’s hope 2013 is even better!